Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The good old days....

I remember back in high school (September, 1999 or 1998), I watched a couple of movies (I think it was a Hitchcock special going on) at the Panorama film festival, and then watched another four at the Athens International Film Festival (AIFF for short, or as it was known then, Premiere Nights). Although I do remember the copious amounts of espresso I had to consume to stay awake (unsuccessfully sometimes) that day and the others following it, my last night at the 2000 aiff, when I gave out my see-all festival ticket for free at the last night and then found a school buddy of mine and we went on to see Jarmusch's Down by Law at the ΑΣΤΥ cinema, where a friend of his was making the argument that long 100's cigarettes are more economically wise by a matter of 10 cents per pack) or the fun-packed experience of watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show just last year (fully surprised and thoroughly entertained!), or how I missed the first screening of 12 Monkeys (elections dragged me to a political rally at Alexandras street, thanks bro!) , or David Bowie's Thursday's Child playing over and over again in my tape recorder during breaks, I certainly do miss and do forget a lot.

For example I can't remember the 1st aiff movie I 've seen (I think it was a semi-indie american production about a guy in a love affair that has to kill somebody, supposed to be smart, not very impressed), or the titles of 90% of the aiff movies I have seen for that matter. I don't remember the title of a japanese (or was it korean?, damn!) production where the transvestite heroine was killing (better said slaughtering, in a blood-splatter delight) people under the sounds of Placebo's first 2 albums, while a Greek film critic (known for his incoherent and long sentences) was hollering ‘Slit her throat, slit her throat!!’ or the …. In fact as I am writing this stuff down, I can’t even remember of a film that I can’t remember something about!!
However, I have always enjoyed the whole AIFF experience. Simply enough, I enjoy watching movies, and in fact, I enjoy watching movies a lot, and over years I have learnt a lot from them (silly, not?). We ‘ve all heard of the magic of cinema watching; well I like to think that every time I walk into a cinema I am enjoying the film a tiny bit more than others. Sure, watching 4 movies in a row on a night does not leave much space in your brain to remember them (or ponder on the deep meanings and trifles of life for that matter), but then again that's way I have decided this year to make this sure-to-fail attempt in blogging about it.

I mean, I have always liked the feeling and the buzz of the AIFF, always frustrated when I could not follow it at times (school, practice, being in England for uni later on....) and I have always felt that the Athens International Film Festival is an Athens city treat (I remember walking down Panepistimiou avenue, going back home, after seeing the ‘Attack of the Giant Musaka’, with a huge smile in my face, stealing spam-mail from banks, thinking Athens was a cool place in autumn, oh!, those were the days…), but I suppose it is high time that I tried to make an effort in capturing all these moments. As good as the 'after' feeling can be, it is always nice to have something to think back. After all we are what we remember, right Leonard?

***

Having all the sentimental stuff put aside, let me get some things straight. I am not a critic, I don’t have the facilities to be or act as one. I am not a film buff, and I don't think I am very archie about it (Steven Seagal is my personal hero ;-)). I am not a writer, but that much you probably have understood yourselves! I don’t know how many posts I am going to manage; I guess blogging at 4 o’ clock in the morning for 20 straight days is going to be tough. I am not at all affiliated with the Athens International Film Festival (apart that I love it of course!), nor do I know if they are going to be happy if they find out about this blog. Perhaps for the 1st time their site is thoroughly organised and informative. Some posts are going to be in English, and some (if not none) in Greek. Depends which language comes easier at the time of writing. Finally, don’t expect much pictures. I will feel terribly silly standing outside the cinema theatres taking photos with my tourist digital camera or my cell phone…give me a break.

So, enjoy… and support you local cinema theatre!



P.S. Jarmusch is a genius.

No comments: